Monday, May 2, 2011

Raising Real Men

I am praying now that my boys never meet girls like me. I was catty, manipulative, and easy. I threw my jeans in the dryer 20 minutes before leaving for youth group so they'd be as tight as I could get them. Literally. Seth and I joke around constantly about how thankful we are that we didn't grow up together. I would've thought he was a pleated-pants-comb-over dork. His parents would've put me on the "don't ever get near that girl" list. :) What I once considered "sheltering" I now greatly desire for my sons. Boys will be boys, and God designed them to be visual, but I want to make sure I'm raising men that will one day be good husbands....not good boyfriends. I purchased this BOOK a while ago but didn't think the authors looked "up to date", so it sat on the shelf. :) I picked it up a few weeks back after my oldest son proclaimed that only girls with very long blonde hair could be pretty. Ugh. What have I created, and how could I have done so much damage in only 5 years!?! The book was totally from the Lord and has given me a new perspective. I now know that my boys have a love for fighting, and guns, and adventure because God created them with the attributes needed to defend and fight for their families some day! It's the over abundance of super-heroes and violent video games that turn those wonderful God-given desires into violent acts that seem so disruptive and immature. I'm not quite finished the book. My dear husband stole it to read on his long flight to Hawaii. But it has already produced a change in the way I parent. I always thought I wanted to be the parent of the "cool kids". Now I'm not so sure. I think I'd rather be the parent of the "will know how to lead and provide for his family" kid.

3 comments:

  1. I purchased a book for STeve a couple years ago...(I proofread it in case I didn't want him to turn into something I wouldn't like :-) is WILD AT HEART by John Eldridge. A must read for Christian men....and an excellent read for moms raising Christian boys! Wish I had that kind of input when my boys were growing up....sooo many things I would have done differently....Love Ya! Sue

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am already so nervous for my boys to grow up too. But with my daughter being the oldest I have noticed how much I also need to protect her and help her understand how to protect the minds of the boys around her. She already wants to wear strapless, low cut gowns (probably b/c of the Disney princesses!). She even can pick out very attractive men. Even on a commercial that showed only a mans six pack and not his face she said 'wow, he is handsome'! I couldn't believe it. Parenting definitely takes a lot of work!

    ReplyDelete