Thursday, January 21, 2010

Day 8

For the past four years, I have made approximately 95% of our bread at home. We received a bread machine as a wedding gift and fell in love with the warm, soft loaves right from the oven. Even my children preferred the homemade stuff. I occasionally patted myself on the back for being such a great mother to offer preservative free bread to my family. :) Don't get me wrong, I haven't thrown the bread machine out with the trash just because of our new health goals. But I have found a better alternative. Our local health food store (as well as the big chain grocer down the road) sells sprouted grain bread, and I knew we needed to give it a try. I bought a loaf, stuck it in the back of the refrigerator, and tried to forget about it for a few days. I've made mostly whole wheat bread with my machine, but this stuff looked like it would take some getting used to. I finally got the nerve to try it, and let me tell you, I am HOOKED! It's delicious! We put it in the toaster, mainly because it's cold from being in the fridge, but also because it helps to soften it up a bit. If you are a white-bread only family, you may need to take a few baby steps to get to this point. The brand we buy is Ezekiel 4:9. Yes, as in the verse that states "take also unto thee wheat and barley and beans, and lentils, and millet, and spelt, and put them in one vessel, and make bread of it...." Another huge plus: it doesn't contain yeast! That should be the next blog.....hm.....because now I'm sure everyone is thinking "something else I'm not allowed to eat!?!?!" :) It's grainy, and rich, and nutty, and so completely packed with nutrients. Check out this website for the low-down:
http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/701909/health_benefits_of_sprouted_grain_bread.html
You have to store it in the fridge, or the freezer, because it is technically "alive" and doesn't contain preservatives. But that's the whole goal here, right? Eating living foods, to bring life to our bodies, rather than eating foods containing dead nutrients. The kids are loving it, so it has passed the test of "can we keep this new lifestyle change in our family forever". Also, I can't leave today's post short and sweet without an encouraging word about my prince charming. He has lost 4 lbs., has eliminated 95% of his heart burn, and has a new and improved pH level of 6.5-7.0!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I was so excited for him. He drinks the Green Lemonade every morning and I pack him raw nuts and seeds, as well as plenty of fresh fruit to hold him over until lunch every day. From lunch until his day is done he eats whatever he wants. Way to go babe!

No comments:

Post a Comment