Wednesday, June 16, 2010

I swore I'd never....

like Dave Ramsey. He's not hugely popular in the north. He's not hugely popular with business men. There was never a single mention of his name in all of my growing up. But then I married. :) Dave Ramsey this and Dave Ramsey that. I was given the book. I grew increasingly frustrated and defensive. "Babe, if he was really all that good, don't you think my father, who was a FINANCIAL ADVISOR, would've at least mentioned him ONCE!?" You can't get anywhere in the world without credit. You need a credit card to establish credit. You have to spend money to make money. I pleaded my case over and over again. I just wouldn't back down! And this coming from the girl who asked the question "what is your accountant's name" after a month of being married. I was unaware that people actually did their own taxes. :) Folks, I was just raised differently. My dad was self employed and successful and asked us to meet him at the country club for lunch! What an eye opener it was to be related to people who put cash in envelopes and owned their cars for more than 3 years! I was still 100% against it until the day my mother uttered a few simple words. "Meg, don't you think business owners should handle finances differently than non-business owners?" Hm. I was stumped. And of course because it was my mother who thought it was perfectly acceptable for a "normal" family to follow Dave Ramsey's rules, I quickly thought it was acceptable as well. :) And so I am now doing something that I swore I'd never do. I'm reading the book. And guess what? I love it! Why is it SO appropriate for our culture to live in so much debt? I'm not talking about politics. Don't even get me started. But just the regular ole you and me. We automatically assume that everyone has school debt and car loans and credit cards and mortgages. Right? That's normal! That's expected! That's okay! What about where the Bible says "owe no man anything but love"???? You think to yourself "how can you afford to live without debt? how can you afford to buy a house, or pay for a car, or go on vacation without involving credit scores and interest rates????" But how can you afford not to? We are no where near being debt free, but we have been really convicted lately to start trying. Listen to this excerpt, taken from Dave Ramsey's "Total Money Makeover": "Imagine you buy a $130,000 home for which you take out a $110,000 mortgage at 7%. The final cost after all is said and done and paid would be $283,520 after 30 years." Sheesh! Isn't that incredible? Now don't get me wrong. I am a FIRM BELIEVER that you have to have "credit". I married the man without a lick of credit to his name and I even had to sign papers to let Verizon sell him a cell phone!!! :) We have vowed to make sure our boys are prepared to buy cars and houses and cell phones. But I've got to tell you, it's way better than marrying someone who's already $50,000 in the hole! Can you imagine a life where all you had to pay was the electric bill??? Honestly, I can't. But it sure is worth working towards. We think we can't afford to live without debt and credit, but really, how can we afford to?

5 comments:

  1. I couldn't agree more, Megan! I've never read his book but we have friends who have modeled his principles for us & taught us so much. I'm on the flip side as you, meaning...I grew up using "the envelope system" but married into a business owning family with a very different approach. It's been interesting marrying the 2 concepts with a goal of being debt free. I'm so thankful for parents who, although they did not have much, taught me how to live within my means and avoid debt.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My husband must have read that book somewhere along the line b/c he is definitely a "no debt man". I have always admired him for that. My mother MADE ME pay off all of my credit card debt before we got married and I could never thank her enough for that. My husband and I do not have Visas...Master Cards...or the like. I DO have a Gap card and a Kohls card that we pay off as soon as we put anything on them but other than that, that is the extent of our "debt". Well, that is a lie...actually, I guess you could count our mortgage and van payments a debt but we borrow against ourselves for that so it's not entirely the same thing. We will probably never get a home equity loan and I thank God that neither one of us came into this with a single school loan. If it were up to me, I'd probably have us in the hole and buried 6 feet under but my husband handles the money and though he is self-employed, he behaves financially like someone who isn't. I can't begin to tell you how thankful I am for his miserly ways sometimes. :) I hear so many horror stories of people far in debt and we're so blessed not to be a statistic! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. My husband and I live debt free, except for our mortgage. I have gone without because of our desire to live within our means. I love him for it and respect him even more because of the choices we have made/chosen for our family. We have read the book and firmly stand by it. Good luck in your endeavor to become debt free.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've started his book and am seriously amazed at what some of those people have done! It's absolutely amazing how they've dug themselves out of debt. I love the section in the back where they lay out what percentages each item in your life should be! That was so helpful to me! I am trying to get out of debt too and thank the Lord I've be couponing my little heart away and hope it will pay off. I can't wait till the day when I have no car payment and no school loan! That will be an incredible load off my shoulders. Keep working at it :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Meg...Faith Bible Church is conducting Ramsey's Finanancial Peace University on Sunday nights right now...Steve and I didn't join, but I've heard many of the folks really getting into his way of thinking. And the young 40'ish couple in our church that started "Ramsey's Life Style" about 5 years ago are nearly debt free even though they still have 2 of 5 kids at home!!! Jeremy (Mooch) and his wife live a very financially disciplined life and have just started listening to Ramsey....Jeremy and Stephanie own 3 homes in Vegas....the only debt they have is the mortgages and one car payment....they rent 2 of the 3 homes....and only actually have to pay about 1/2 of their own home mortgage out of their own pocket!!! They will have their car paid off next month .... it is a very nice "used" Jeep SUV of some type....paid off in less than a year! I'm very proud of them because of their diligence to remain debt free as possible. Oh and they used to use Credit cards for everything (convenience) and pay them off monthly...then realized that you tend to spend more even at the grocery store because you don't handle the cash...now they are cash and carry only. They do maintain a card for emergencies and/or convenience when traveling. They are 24 and 25 years old...so it can be done.....Sue

    ReplyDelete