Thursday, February 18, 2010

Thankful Thursdays...

Earlier this week I shared that I was dealing with something. It was laying heavy on my heart, and I am ready to tell you about it. My dear hubby has been away this week. This is not too far out of the ordinary, and we have dealt well with it. We've spent the majority of our time here at home, and we were also able to spend some time at "nana's" house. We've been healthy, and safe, and warm, and for this and so much more, I am thankful. But Seth heading to Florida meant one thing to me. He was going to have to be in an airplane. Do you all know that my father was killed in an airplane? It has been 6 years, 6 months, and 10 days. The plane went down. He entered heaven's glory. I want so badly to be able to tell you it's only been 3 weeks, because that's how fresh the pain still is. Yet through all of this, I can say without a shadow of a doubt that I believe God doesn't make mistakes. This post has been on my mind all day because I knew Seth would be flying home. The threat of the "what if's" was still tempting to take over my thoughts, and I'll admit I even tried to "barter" with God today. "Lord, if You keep Seth safe, I'll do an entire post about how great You are, and how much I trust in You." But that's not exactly the point, is it? :) While typing this out, I got a call from Seth saying that his plane landed. He's such an amazing husband. He knows that I'm on pins and needles until I know that the plane has landed safely. And you know what? He calls before he even gets off his seat. :) He understands my concern. He knows I'll be worried. He knows that my heart still aches. Thank You, Lord, for blessing me with this man. When I heard his voice, and knew he was safe, the tears came. Thank You, Lord, for allowing him to land safely. When he left for this business trip on Monday, I was expecting the same nervousness, upset stomach, and clouded thinking that I am used to experiencing. But it never came. Thank You, Lord, for granting me the peace that only You can give. Thank you for comforting my nerves. Thank You for understanding all my anxieties, all my cares. Hymns speak volumes to me. Maybe it's my genetic draw to music. Maybe it was all those years being the pianist's daughter. But this one, especially the last verse and the chorus, sears my soul and draws me close to Him.

Does Jesus Care? - Frank Graeff 1901

Does Jesus care when I've said "goodbye"
To the dearest on earth to me,
And my sad heart aches till it nearly brakes-
Is it aught to Him? Does He see?

O yes, He cares. I know, He cares
His heart is touched with my grief;
When the days are weary, the long nights dreary,
I know my Savior cares.



2 comments:

  1. I'm so thankful for a God that cares...and for friends like you. You're so sweet Megan. I'm so sorry that you're hurting... :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. meg, i meant to write when i originally read this.
    did i ever tell you my best friend from college...2nd week of classes freshman year died. it always struck me that abi had such a dear friend she loved so much see lose a father, and then i did too.
    i'm so glad the Lord gave you a peace through the week and for the safe landing!

    ReplyDelete