Thursday, March 4, 2010

The big reveal!

So the story goes like this: "Once upon a time there was a really nice girl named Megan. Megan had custom made, red striped curtains for a few years. They hid most of the windows nicely, but resulted in a dark house. The red curtains were adored, but had to go when Megan purchased blue dishes. Megan swore up one side and down the other that she would never have anything blue in her house but eventually caved when HomeGoods had a sale and she fell in love. So the blue dishes moved in. The red curtains were evicted. Megan then inherited her mother's blue toile valences. Megan loved the blue. She also adores toile. But valences are not what Megan had in mind. She was over-joyed to find 100% wool on a sale rack. After all was said and done, she spent $4.70 a yard for 100% wool drapery fabric. She thought her turmoil was over, but alas, there was still a need for curtain rods. She searched and searched, but to no avail. They were just too expensive. And then The Nester came to the rescue! Megan read and read about Mis-treatments, followed all of the advice, and jumped on board. Someday, when the moment is right, these will be hung on beautiful curtain rods from Ballard Designs (okay, maybe just from Lowes). But for now, all is well in this home again.


Step #1: jump in your cute little suv (don't worry. old minivans work too), drive to Lowes, head to the nail accessory department (don't you love how I think Lowes has nail accessories???), and pick some of these "furniture nails" up!
Step #2: Grab a hammer. I used this kind with the rubbery ends. I was nailing my curtains up at midnight (literally) and was trying to keep the hammer-ing as quiet as possible. :) :) :)
Step #3: You've gotta follow The Nester for the how-to's, but here is the finished result!!!!!!!!!!
No, I did not hem them. I probably will hem the bottom, but only because they "puddle" and I don't want them fraying on the carpet. I just folded, tucked, and nailed. It really was that easy! Sorry for making you bend your neck at an uncomfortable angle to view this. Couldn't figure out how to flip it. :)
TA-DA!!!!
Now people, please take a moment to closely observe the above picture. Did I nail my fabric at the window? NO! This was on purpose. The higher you hang your fabric, the bigger your windows will look. Did you know this? How could you NOT know this!?!?!? The hubby has a nice, neat (who am I kidding!?) pile of scrap wood in our garage. He claims to have a piece of wood that measures 8' long and is 12" high. I am begging and pleading (and throwing in a few "favors") for him to cut that wood into two separate pieces. I want to either paint or stain it, and hang one above the double window and one above the single. I just hate how you can see the top of those ugly, hideous, white plastic mini-blinds. More pictures will be posted when that job is completed. Sorry to keep you anxiously waiting. Write yourself a cute little sticky note for 2012. :) I just can't even tell you how much I am in love with my curtains. It doesn't hide any sunlight, and yet has the same look of heavy, puddled drapes. Ahhhhh, life is good. Well, except for the fact that I mistakenly left the chocolate stash run out during naptime! :( How could I!?!?!

1 comment:

  1. They look great Megan! And darn it all, I LOVE that key too. I see it peaking it's brilliant little head in there! ;) You've inspired me girl! Keep it up! :)

    ReplyDelete