Friday, May 7, 2010

A Skanky Sippy cup

Our family was first introduced to the pink world on December 2, 2008. She has brought countless pairs of shoes, hair bows, and toenail polish with her. It's been wonderful. It's also been eye-opening. What image do I want portrayed to her? Where do I want her to find her acceptance? Her security? Her attention? Most of these things need to come from her daddy. It's that father-daughter relationship that I was blessed with, growing up, that I want her to have as well. But other things, like modesty, might need to come from me. This all started out so innocently. Her cute, purple sippy cup was looking very worn and needed to be replaced. Daddy took it upon himself to go sippy cup shopping. He's very proactive. For this, among other things, I am thankful. :) But what he came home with that day was a little disturbing. He stood in that Target aisle and thought to himself, "which one is pink? which one is purple? which one won't leak? which one lacks race cars and dump trucks?" He brought them home. I washed them up. And then I saw it. Looks like an innocent sippy cup, right?


Wrong! Since when does Tinkerbelle have cleavage????
Before you all start throwing hissy fits, please remember how NON ultra-conservative I am! Jeans to church? Check. Nose ring? Check. Host a houseful of ladies for a sex toy party? Done that! But for my daughter to have this visual in front of her every time she feels thirsty???? I won't have it! What if she doesn't turn out to be "well endowed"??? Will she feel pressure from society to be surgically enhanced? Absolutely. But do I want her to feel, at 17 months old, that this is normal. This is good? Nope. Sorry. Can't do it. Don't even get me started on the impression this cup could have on her brothers' opinion of a certain standard of beauty.

I have considered closing the comments for this post. I really, really don't want to read a single post about how this is our culture, and we all need to expose our children to it now so that they are not shocked later on. I am 100% for not sheltering our children. Our kids listen to Patch the Pirate just as much as they do Miranda Lambert or Coldplay. But when it comes to modesty, I don't necessarily want them to have a skewed representation of what's "marketable". Their hearts and minds are young and tender. I like to keep a close eye on what impressions they are receiving. Thanks for not judging me. ;)





2 comments:

  1. I agree with you. This type of immodesty is excused so often, but I do not want it in my home for my son or daughter.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree too! I should be more mindful of what comes into our home. We do have the movie, Tinkerbell. : / Being a parent is not for the faint of heart! There are sooooo many things to think about!

    ReplyDelete