Sunday, July 25, 2010

A Family Favorite.

I have been making our own granola for years. My mom made it for years before that. I can no longer eat it since going gluten free, but it's still a very cheap and healthy alternative for my family's breakfast. Here's the recipe:

Combine 1/2 cup oil, 1/2 cup honey, and 2 t. vanilla in a microwave safe container.
Microwave for 1 minute.
In a seperate bowl combine 6 cups of oats, 1 cup brown sugar, 1/2 cup bran and 1/2 cup wheat germ. I prefer using my hands to mix this all up so I can crush the brown sugar really finely. There is nothing worse than biting into an enormous, hard, crusty lump of brown sugar the next morning in your cereal. :(
Now pour your warm, liquid concoction into your dry mix. Use your hands for mixing this too. SO much easier. You'll think it's too dry, but just keep on mixing. It will eventually all become gooey. :)
You can also add 3/4 cup of sunflower seeds and/or raisins at this point. I spray a large sheet pan with Pam and bake it at 350 degrees JUST UNTIL the edges become slightly golden. This will ensure your granola is still a little chewy. Watch it carefully! It burns QUICK!
Pull it out of the oven, stir it up a bit and let it cool completely before storing it in an air-tight container. That's it! Easy peasy! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment