Monday, July 19, 2010

Why I want a rancher...

I think I may have confused a few people in my last post about me wanting a rancher. Who in the world picks a rancher as their dream home??? Well, me....for two reasons. #1: no more children falling down the stairs. I cannot even tell you how many times I've heard the trip, then the slip, then the enormous crashing and flipping, and then finally the scream. I am just SICK.OF.IT. No stairs means no baby gates. My mom lived in a rancher for a couple of months (or years??? can't remember...) and couldn't stop talking about how much she loved it! "You live in your whole house!" She would say. Which is so true, if you stop to think about it. There is never a lonely, dark finished basement that sits in quietness while you entertain upstairs where the sun shines! No more steps means you use your whole house all day long, because it's easier to get to your whole house! Okay, that was reason #1. Reason #2 is because most ranchers are just dang ugly. It's true. If you live in one, it's okay to agree. They tend to be very dated and tempt you to think "wow, those people haven't done anything with that place since the day the roof was put on!" But you see people, I have an OBSESSION with turning nothing into something. The ugly into the beautiful. The mundane into the magical. Seeing life left in someone else's garbage. If young whipper-snappers like us don't start taking control over ranchers, no one will! Pictures to prove my point:


You can take something like this.....
and turn it into this!
All pictures courtesy of this blog.

3 comments:

  1. Thank you for the link love!

    I totally agree with you. Living on one level with the young ones has been wonderful. And you just have to love the ramblingness of an old 50s ranch!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just found your blog today, and I am IN LOVE. :) I'm now driving around town looking for old brick ranchers and dreaming about what color to paint the bricks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I definitely agree with the living in the WHOLE HOUSE. I have to say though...my favorite house has and probably will forever be "The Cape Cod" hence our home. :)

    ReplyDelete